I’ve always been partial to the last quarter of the year—life always gets more interesting then. First there’s Halloween, and then my birthday about a week after, then everybody gets into the Christmas spirit and there are about ten million parties and gatherings to attend all the way till the clock strikes 12 the next year. It’s like people are making a last ditch effort to make the most out of the year, and I love all the hustle and bustle! 2011 is no exception—my head is practically spinning from all the activity. Here’s what’s been going on this last quarter:
- SM Department Store Fashion Forum show– Last October 22, fashionphiles trooped to the SM Northwing to see the launch of several new upscale brands like Miss Couture , Max and Cleo, Seychelles, London Times, and a lot more into their Department Store roster. I absolutely loved the whole “Mad Men” feel- from Jackie O style shift dresses and high platforms to midi hemlines, versatile wraparound dresses, wide leg pants and jersey catsuits. My mom, who was my plus one for the night, said the entire thing was reminiscent of her twenties. And the colors! From turquoise to tangerine, fuschias to rocking purples, it was like a trip to candy land. Certainly dressing up is going to be a lot more interesting and exciting with these new babies to choose from!
- Vudu’s 10th Annual Halloween Costume Ball– There are a number of people whose favorite holiday is Halloween just because of the dressing-up- in-crazy-costumes part. And I love that Cebu has wholeheartedly embraced this occasion, meticulously preparing their outfits, from music icons and rock legends to witches and ghouls, cartoon characters to action heroes, pirates to cowboys to Playboy bunnies. This year was Vudu’s 10thHalloween Costume ball anniversary, and I spotted Wonder Woman, Minnie Mouse, Hugh Heffner and the bunnies, Jack Sparrow, Ariel, Plants vs. Zombies, a bunch of Angry Birds, Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj all in one night. Maybe I should finally use my naughty nurse outfit next year?
- MAC Opening– All the Kikays I know were especially happy last 11-11-11, and that’s because the MAC counter finally opened in Rustan’s, Ayala Center Cebu. Finally we can all have our fix of the beauty loot, from the Ruby Woo lipstick to the Studio Perfect Foundation, pigment powder, palette shadows and everything else without having to fly to Manila to get them or having them lugged in by travelling friends! This is beyond fabulous. Good luck to all our credit cards.
- Janina trunk show– Another event the girls were all looking forward to last November 11 was the Janina (by Jul Dizon) exclusive jewelry trunk show organized by the beautiful Kathy Tesoro at the A-Café. It featured pretty baubles and bling, from cuffs with amethysts to aquamarine rings, plus the holiday collection of Tatjana clutches in a burst of color—made in matte crocodile, stingray and lambskin. Love! Kudos to Janina Dizon-Hoschka for a great collection.
- Tablea Chocolate Café launching– A true bombshell can’t live without her chocolate. And since I live in the Talamban area, I am beyond happy to announce that Tablea, our favorite source of sweet things, has opened a branch at the J Centre mall in A.S. Fortuna. Brunch was served to celebrate last November 15. What’s great is that they use local cacao from various parts of the Philippines for their treats, and have a vision of one day playing a role in reinvigorating the country’s cacao growing industry. Now that’s real goodness with every sip or bite!
- Forever 21 opening– Gear up girls, because this one is just about the biggest fashion event to hit Cebu in like…forever. Forever 21, cult favorite brand for women of all ages, is opening its doors right here in our growing metropolis. It will be right at the SM Northwing, occupying a mammoth amount of space, and everyone is excited beyond belief at the thought of this fashion smorgasbord right under our noses! There’s a Forever21 BDO Mastercard event on the 17th being put together by A-List powerhouse duo Kaye and Cybill, and on the 18th the official opening will commence. I wonder how my friends will feel when I tell them I’ve shopped away my budget for their Christmas gifts this year?
- Rex Navarette Show– I hope everyone is ready for some serious comedy as the premier Filipino-American stand-up comedian Rex Navarette rocks the stage of the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel on November 25 and tickles your funny bone with his real-life anecdotes and experiences. Who could forget his portrayal of Maritess the domestic helper that went viral on the Internet? It’s a one-night-only performance, so mark your calendars and be entertained! You can score your tickets at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel, the Ayala Center Cebu concierge or call Graphic Fx at 234-0048.
- Soiree Beaujolais– The Marco Polo Plaza Cebu is once again holding the Soiree Beaujolais, a celebration of French wine, music, cheese and other culinary treats on Saturday, November 19. It will be held at the Grand Ballroom, with live performances from cancan girls and jazz star Verni Varga. Of course, another highlight of the evening is the raffling off of the trip to Paris via Qatar Airways! C’est magnifique! Call 253-111 local 8249 for more details. See you there, yes?
So that’s just a sampler of things to come for the holiday season, and I can’t wait to celebrate the end of another glittering year with all of you. Cheers girls!