Santa baby, slip a sable under the tree for me…I’ve been an awful good girl Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight! So goes one of every Kikay girl’s favorite Christmas carols. Well dearies, the season of shopping for presents is indeed upon us, and with malls going on midnight sales, bazaars popping up left and right, and online shopping made so much more convenient, you’re bound to go crazy from all the choices! Every year, one of my favorite columns to write is the Kikay Christmas list—it’s like a roll call of all my favorite things for the year and an opportunity to facilitate the selection of classy gifts everyone will (hopefully) love. So let’s get started!
For the girls (guys you’ll have to wait until next week ok!):
- Italian soaps– What’s so great about this is it scents up the whole bathroom, making you feel like you’re actually standing in a field of lavender blossoms or amidst orange trees. Get them at Rustan’s Essenses.
- L’Occitane hand cream– Of all hand creams, this one is my definite favorite. So luxurious, it feels almost like a privilege to put it on. But it’s an even greater privilege for the person who gets to hold your hands. You can find this at Rustan’s Essenses, or at Duty Free stores.
- Chanel nail polish– In Pearl Drop, which is projected to be Spring 2012’s “It” shade. Or Vamp, which is a Bordeaux color perfect for the holidays. Or, for the sweetie pies, Ballerina is always an all-time favorite.
- MAC lipstick or Clinique Chubby Stick– MAC knows its stuff when it comes to lipstick, and I have never encountered one I love more than Ruby Woo. But some ladies prefer a tinted gloss that’s easy to put on and feels great on the lips—which is exactly what the Clinique Chubby Stick is all about. Try the Melon shade, it’s perfect for everyday use.
- Urban Decay eye palette– Ok, if I could only choose one makeup item to keep (God forbid this should ever happen), this would be it. It has an amazing combination of nudes, browns, rose, plus black and a tinge of gray. Totally a must-have—you could use it for your eyebrows and line your eyes with it too.
- Sepa accessories– No girl can have enough accessories to spice up all those outfits. And of course, Sepa is one of our favorites, proudly made in Cebu. Check out the Sepa Cebu Facebook page for styles and prices, or visit the showroom yourself! There are over 200 items priced below Php 999, and they’re going fast…
- Scarf, neck pillow and eye mask– For your friends who travel a lot, this would be a great gift (unless they have it already). You can find lots of lovely scarves at Mango or Promod, and neck pillows at the Travel Club. I especially love the eye masks with labels like “Sleeping Beauty” or something akin. Get them at the Tickles store in Ayala Center.
- Art calendar– Printed calendars are quickly becoming a thing of the past, the ‘old world’ if you will, with all these digital calendars in our cell phones and office networks. Still, I love writing things down and pretty calendars make it more than worthwhile. Choose one featuring great pieces of art, from Van Gogh or Matisse or Picasso, or at least some fabulous photography. You’ll find these—along with coffee table books you might also prefer—at the Cagnaan Bookstore in Banilad Town Center.
- Monogram towels or cards– Never fails, this one. You can find design ideas for your very own monograms from the net, then have Art & Stitch embroider them on towels, pillowcases, caps or whatever else you might want monogrammed. For customized gift tags and note cards, go to CDI printers.
- Sweet treats– Christmas is a giant ‘cheat season’ for everyone’s diet, so this is the best time to get them something sinfully sweet. Tablea has a fantastic Christmas collection, from hocolate truffles in flavors like chili or espresso, to a variety of hot chocolate mixes- and their gift boxes are gorgeous! Another option is the black sesame chocolate lace cookie, the white chocolate cranberry cookie and the new swalty brownie by Sweet Stuff (0917-3210700). To die for!
- Liquor– Since we all have lots of reasons to celebrate, there’s sure to be lots of drinking! Of course, Moet & Chandon champagne is one to look forward to, or a bottle of Cloudy Bay, or for other cocktails there’s Belvedere vodka, Amaretto or Limoncello. Ho ho ho!
- Classic Christmas DVDs– There are few things better than snuggling up under the covers, sipping hot chocolate and watching classic Christmas movies during the Christmas holidays. Look for the original DVDs of Miracle on 34th Street, Scrooged, Elf, It’s a Wonderful Life, or my absolute favorite- Love Actually. Let’s help spread a little magic this season! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7u6bMBlCXw
- Christmas CD– This one costs virtually nothing but who wouldn’t love a compilation of favorite Christmas songs done by your favorite artists? For those who love R&B, get the versions of Luther Vandross, Babyface, Brian McKnight, Toni Braxton, R. Kelly, and Boyz II Men—and for those who love old school jazz check out songs by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole. Nothing like a soundtrack to really set everyone in a Christmasy mood! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJzm1_5pBXc
- Poinsettias– When this plant starts to appear, you know it’s that time of year. Oy, and that even rhymed! A flower pot of red or white poinsettias in full bloom make a beautiful home decoration or centerpiece for those big family dinners. And fake plants are the tackiest thing ever, so only the real deal will do. You can buy poinsettias at bazaars or weekend markets.
- Havaianas Smile– I love gifts that give back. Anything that promises that part or all of the proceeds will go to a charitable institution or cause is a big deal for me. All the more if it’s an item I already love in the first place, like Havaianas flipflops. Living in a city just 15 minutes away from the beach make it almost a requirement to won at least one pair! The limited edition Smile pair was designed by 12 year old Meghan Sevilla and will help fund Operation Smile’s missions in the Philippines. You’re literally helping around 1,500 kids smile again. What can be better than that?
Happy shopping gals, and watch for the men’s edition of the Christmas gift list next week! xoxo