Where did the time go? It feels like I took a nap sometime in the middle of the year and all of a sudden, it’s December! I’m sure everyone’s all over town attending holiday parties and taking care of all sorts of preparations. And of course, shopping like it’s a sport! Now’s the time to cross out your Christmas list so you can actually enjoy the most wonderful time of the year. Since Kikay aims to please, here are some gift ideas for the ladies in your life. Hope they’ll love this selection!
- Makeup– For all the girly girls who love looking pretty and glam, the MAC Glamourdaze collection is one gift they’ll surely flip over. Hues of pastel and confectionery put together in fabulous satin eye palette compacts, and holiday face kits in satin clutches you can use from day to night! Plus holiday eye, lip and brush kits in animal print. Get them quick at the MAC store, Rustan’s Ayala.
- Monograms– Ladies don’t normally buy monogrammed items for themselves, but these are always very welcome gifts. And there’s a whole range of items to choose from too- look for a pendant with her initial, or a beautiful engraved pen, a set of embroidered towels or a terrycloth robe, a box of monogram Crane notecards, a monogram wax seal, an embossed leather journal. This is definitely a classic, and will be used and loved for a long, long, loooong time.
- Something Sweet– For the sweet tooths out there, truffles, premium chocolates or macarons are an excellent choice. It’s like an indulgent little treat that’s too good to pass up. Check out the Tinderbox or the Duty Free store for favorites like Lindt, Godiva, Guylian. Macaron Tango has great macarons too, they’ve opened at the BTC much to my delight. Oh, and the Belgian chocolate lace cookies found at Merto’s are just divine.
- Pink Champagne– For the lady who enjoys entertaining at home, a bottle of pink champagne, or a sweet white wine like a Moscato would be a lovely Christmas present. Other options would be a set of cocktail glasses or champagne flutes, Parisian chic glass coasters, a fondue set, or a silver candelabra.
- Something Scented– Most girls also enjoy scented items. A scented candle (like the ones from Diptyque) would make her room or pad that much more appealing to come home to. Scented soaps are also a popular choice, I particularly like the ones from L’Occitane, the Italian soaps at Rustan’s essenses, or the Lily of the Valley scent from Marks and Spencer. Other good ideas are a linen spray for the sheets, or a variety of body butter and hand creams from Beauty Bar or The Body Shop.
- Artsy Fartsy– Ladies who love art would definitely appreciate a framed poster or print from hubs like the M.O.M.A., art deco plates, a calendar featuring the works of famous artists, or a coffee table book of items from the Louvre, the Museo del Prado, Musee d’Orsay, etc.
- Travel Items– For the jetset girls, a scarf will always be something practical. My absolute loves are the ones from Burberry and Paul Smith (alternating between preppy plaid and a burst of color), but there are many other beautiful prints to choose from in stores like Promod, Zara or Mango. Aside from a scarf, you can also get her a small satchel bag, a travel wallet (Kipling has a great one that’s water repellent and has separate compartments for different currencies), a Tumi or Agnes B. passport cover, Longchamp travel pouches, or a cosmetic travel kit with little containers for toiletries inside.
- Spa treats– Any frazzled woman who has been working long hours plus preparing for all sorts of Christmas activities, cooking up a storm and all, would certainly appreciate massage gift certificates (get the hot stone massage one, it’s a real treat) or a set of aromatherapy massage oils. You can also opt to get her a battery-operated massager, a pair of fluffy slippers, and a silk robe, or speakers that release relaxing sounds like crashing waves or crickets in the forest (I found this in Rustan’s, so cool!).
- Techy things– For the tech-savvy lady, get her things that will complement her gadgets—like a cute iPad or laptop case, earphones studded with Swarovski crystals, Bose noise cancelling headphones, or other cutting edge accessories.
- Baubles and bling– Women adore jewelry (well, a vast majority anyway). It’s time to whip out the icing this Christmas! From pearl earrings to silver bracelets or gemstone pendants, you’re bound to find something pretty to catch her eye, and something that will fit your budget. For the higher end options, check out Tiffany & Co., Charriol, Majorica or Mikimoto (all in Rustan’s), or any of the other jewelry stores like Just Jewels, Hearts and Arrows, or the jewelry selection in Department Stores. Silver stores like Filigrenasia, Silverworks, or Michelis also have great finds.
- Books– Ah, the woman that reads is one to treasure. Get her books to nourish the mind and heart, from leadership titles (Jim Collins, Jack Welch, John Maxwell, etc) to fiction (the world is your playground in this department), to culinary (Nigella, Martha Stewart, etc), to poetry (Neruda, etc) to fashion (Rachel Zoe, Victoria Beckham, Tim Gunn, Kate Moss, and Nina Garcia all have great ones)…there’s bound to be something she’ll love. Proceed to Fully Booked or National Bookstore and check out the latest releases. But please, no “Fifty Shades of Grey” ok?? The horror! Other options? An audiobook or a box set of classic DVDs of her favourite movie or TV series.
- Kitchen things– For the domestic goddess, all you need to do is go to the kitchen and home section of either SM or Metro Gaisano and you’ll be in a veritable wonderland of every conceivable gadget created. From waffle makers, sandwich presses, blenders, electric beaters, even colourful rubber spatulas, nifty cookie cutters, crepe makers, steamers and all—and that’s just the kitchen section! You can also go to the home section and look for pillows, wool blankets and basically anything under the sun.
So there’s the top dozen Christmas presents—watch out for the boys’ version coming out next week!