Ah…it’s starting to smell like spring. Mornings are getting sunnier (but not scorching), and late afternoons to evenings are still cool and breezy. It’s the perfect time to start wearing pastels and florals again. Likewise, everything’s coming up roses at all the style capitals, as New York, Paris, London and Milan complete their respective Fashion Weeks. We’ve got spring’s hottest trends just for you:
- Vests– The 90s kids know this look well. Kelly on 90210 wore denim vests all the time, usually with tank tops and minis or leggings. Also super hot are tuxedo vests (I found a gorgeous white one at Forever 21 two weeks ago). Wear these with a pair of black shorts, a black tank top, or a teensy mini dress and accessorize with a gold men’s watch. Voila! Instant chic. I guess it’s true what the fashion gurus say: To be fashion-forward, you may have to look backwards.
- Midriff tops– I can hear collective groans from women everywhere. We gotta get crunching, girls, because the tops invading are spring wardrobe are going to be cropped, midriff exposing, Scary Spice bralette types. Wear these with high waist skirts, trousers and shorts, and, well, washboard abs.
- Print pants– I never thought this trend would last but lo and behold, the printed pants are still around! Love the skinny cropped ones from Zara, they look fabulous with a plain top or those neutral sheer blouses, your favourite wayfarers, and a shoulder sling bag.
- Ankle strap shoes– All the shoes you’ll see are ankle strap varieties, even the flats! This trend is pretty cute, wear the ankle strap flats with shorts, minis and dresses to maximize the look. Also popular are gladiator shoes, low heels and chunky heels.
- Matte lips– Remember ‘Reality Bites’? Matte lips in deep crimson are the new rage in makeup this season, again reminiscent of the moody, broody 90s. Try the one from Bobbi Brown, which just opened its counter in Cebu!
- Mod– This one I love. Mod is in again, from sheath dresses a la Jackie O, down to contrast piping, pockets, A-line skirts, color blocking, checkered, Twiggy and the whole enchilada. Everyone from Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Missoni, Louis Vuitton, Moschino and Dior came out with a mod collection for spring 2013. Soon we’ll be walking around like the cast of ‘Hairspray’!
- Bold sunnies– Dig up those photos of your mom in her prime, wearing gigantic sunglasses with white or tortoise frames. Those are the sunglasses you need for the season. Whether round, cat eye, mirrorized, colored, or decorated, the point is, the more retro, the better. Grab the look from the runway shows of Gucci, Prada, Anna Sui or Dolce and Gabbana—it’s like a time warp!
- Black and white– By far the most prominent color combination that came out in all the spring shows was black and white. Whether stripes, checkered or houndstooth, blanc et noir is the way to go. You can wear a black and white piece (top, skirt or pants) with either plain white or black, or you can up the ante and wear it with bold red or Monaco blue. Well hello there Grimace!
- High top sneakers– Another great throwback from the 90s. I will never forget my L.A. gear high tops, how I loved those shoes in the fourth grade! So now the look is back, you can score your pumped up kicks everywhere from Adidas to (you’ll never believe it) Balenciaga and Jimmy Choo. Wear with shorts, leggings or skinny jeans.
- 90s jeans– Yes, it does smell like teen spirit. Those super bleached, torn jeans? They’re back. I’ve always thought the 90s was the coolest decade of all, and I was too young to ‘master’ the trends back then, so this reincarnation is a good opportunity for a second attempt. Wear your 90s jeans with a white tank and men’s watch or slouchy top, and heels. Add on your favourite luxury bag for an extra contrast.
Here’s looking your best this spring!
Follow me on twitter (MiaZamora116) or like the Kikay page on Facebook for more fashion updates.