We talked about ‘Out with the Old’—or what not to wear in 2018—in last week’s Kikay. It’s tough to prune things out of your life, right? But just like spring cleaning, it is ultimately for the best. Look on the bright side! Since all that space has now been cleared out in your closet, there’s room for the wonderful things coming your way. I’ve checked out the spring fashion shows and here are the trends that we can expect (and start hunting for) very soon. Prepare to fall in love with these 2018 Spring must-haves:
- All White and Lavender. When the rest of the world finally thaws out after this bitter winter, the colors we’ll see a lot of are all white errthing, and lavender, which has replaced last year’s millennium pink. I couldn’t be happier at this turn of events, because wearing all white from head to toe always makes people look crisp, chic and fresh, and lavender (or lilac) is one of the most flattering of all the pastels. Check out styles from Zimmerman, Michael Kors, Proenza Schouler or Roland Mouret from NYFW Spring 2018.
Bold florals, Black and White Polka Dots, Plaid, Art. Florals always show up in the spring, but this year we’re expecting bigger and bolder versions. As in huge red cabbage roses level of floral. Google the images from Marni, Fendi and Dolce and Gabbana Spring 2018 shows and you’ll see what I mean. Polka dots are back too, especially in black and white. Plaid continues to be popular, and pop art/cartoon prints are all the rage as well.
- Ruching and Fringe. Goodbye ruffles, hello ruching! This is good news for us because the ruching can be used like a more comfortable corset to conceal problematic tummies, bellies, and hips, and still look ultra feminine. Examples abound from Tory Burch and Tom Ford Spring 2018. Fringe is going to be big as well, from bags to tshirts to hemlines—and you gotta admit it’s fun to twirl around like a roaring 20s girl and watch the fringes add a swing to your step.
- Square Neckline. Let’s try something different from the usual V or scoop neck and go for square necklines this time. It’s especially flattering for rounder faces because it creates a contrast, and is equally seductive as its more common peers, in a Renaissance, Reign series sort of way. This neckline was spotted at Rodarte, Christian Dior and Carolina Herrera.
- Dark Denim. Thank Goodness! We can bid adieu to the light acid wash and vintage distressed denims, and go back to being classy and fabulous in dark denims. This applies to jeans, denim dresses, and skirts.
- Extras- Transparency, Feathers. They’re called ‘extras’ for a reason, because you’re not supposed to go overboard on these trends. We’re seeing a lot of transparency—sheer skirts and palazzos showcasing toned legs a la Fendi, clear plastic Jimmy Choos, etc. A sprinkling of feathers too, just to add life to drab outfits.
- 90’s Oblong Eyewear. So those round shades from the early 90s are about to be replaced by the sleek oblong X-girl styles that were so popular in the late 90s and early 2000s. My advice? Get cheap ones since the trends keep changing every few months, but keep your classic aviators and Hollywood shades classy. The advantage of using cheap ones—you can wear them to the beach, in the pool, and wherever the heck you want all spring and summer long.
- Tailoring- Double breasted. This cut first blew up all over the place in the fall but is still super chic for spring. Go for plaid or all white double-breasted pantsuits or suit dresses to bring the power back to power dressing!
- The Fanny pack. I never, ever thought this would happen…but yes, the fanny pack, otherwise known as the belt bag, is sooo back. And check out the designer twist to them! This is definitely the ‘it’ accessory of the year. My drool-worthy favorites are from Balenciaga, Gucci and Rochas.
- Fabulous Footwear. Hello again to the strappy, sexy stilettos and marabou slides! It’s time to celebrate spring with festive feet, in the most eye-catching colors imaginable. Check out these choices from Harper’s Bazaar:
Here’s to lots more amazing things (besides fashion) coming our way in 2018!