Travel has never been as in demand as it is today. With all these new apps that make looking for great deals on flights, hotel accommodations and restaurants a breeze, not to mention conveniences like Airbnb and Uber, plus the extra lure of social media…yup, everyone is off to someplace all the time. I can’t begin to describe the benefits of seeing a new country, meeting some of its locals, eating their food, hanging out at their hotspots, listening to their language and music. It’s like a dose of magic, every single time. But travel comes with its own set of hassles too. There’s airport security, damaged/lost luggage, screaming children on board, and so on. The last thing you need is to have packed incorrectly, too. So here’s a list of all the things you need to acquire for flawless looks, all year long:
- Winter coat- You need a nice, thick winter coat in a neutral color like black, Beige, Gray or Maroon. Yes, of course you can wear those lightweight goose down jackets if you want to look like a marshmallow in your photos, but that’s up to you. In my opinion, there is nothing more elegant than an impeccably fit wool coat, worn with boots and your favorite bag.
- Beanie- I know this isn’t a flattering look for everyone, but you will not survive winter (or even autum) without a beanie. Your tropical body is going to shrivel up and catch a cold, thereby ruining your vacation. Choose a legit thick wool beanie that matches with most of the clothes you’re taking with you.
It’s not going to look funny when it’s zero degrees out
- Gloves– My mom used to tell me a story if the little match girl, and it was so tragic that I’ve always brought gloves with me whenever I travel, just in case. Knit is nice, but leather is extra sleek. They even look fabulous on their own, sitting next to your purse and sunglasses.
Very Duchess Kate
- Knit scarf- When it’s cold, always keep your neck covered. Silk, floral scarves look nice in the spring, but get a wool /cable knit scarf for autumn or winter. And learn how to put them on stylishly too, not just hanging around your neck. When the weather gets warmer around midday, you can take the scarf off and just layer on as needed.
I adore knit scarves!
- Thermal wear- Somehow, the cold manages to seep through your outerwear and into your bones, and feeling cold equates to feeling miserable. Wear a long sleeved thermal top and thermal leggings under your clothes and you’ll feel nice and toasty all day long.
- Boots- I know all about how great athleisure looks, and how much more comfortable sneakers are for travel—but c’mon, you gotta admit a pair of tight, knee high boots makes everything sexier. Suede is ok, leather is best. Get boots in black or dark brown. Ankle boots are having a moment, but knee high is a classic, and will keep your legs warm.
So. Totally. Fabulous.
- Leather jacket- Ah, the look of a real leather jacket. I had to emphasize real because those synthetic ones fall apart after a few uses and you end up leaving embarrassing trails of peeling faux leather everywhere. Wear your leather jacket with jeans or black leggings, boots or sneakers—you’ll look cool no matter what you do.
- Sneakers– Ok fine, when the boots become too painful to walk around in, sneakers are the next best option as long as you have thermal socks. In my opinion there are only 3 drool worthy ones—Nike Flyknit, Adidas NMD, and Stan Smith. You can have your own favorites, as long as they are comfy!
Stan Smiths at winter, digging it
- Neutrals– Yeah, don’t take your entire closet with you even if you are tempted to do so. It’s not fun lugging several heavy suitcases around Europe. Stick to neutral clothes you can wear multiple times on the trip, and mix and match. Bring clothes in wrinkle free fabrics, and choose your most reliable favorites—now is not the time to break in a new outfit that might be uncomfortable.
- Trench coat- What’s a spring or autumn without a classic beige trench coat? Choose one of high quality that you’ll get to wear for years and years to come.
Karlie Kloss in a Burberry trench
- Swimsuit– This is pretty much all you need for a resort getaway. Pick swimsuits that flatter your figure and stick to that style. And please, don’t swim in anything else. As in, no t-shirts in the pool. And rash guards are for the actual sea/surfing or watersports, so don’t wear them to the pool either.
Red hot in a red maillot
- Sarong– You need to own at least one beautiful sarong that can be worn different ways—as a drapey bottom for your swimsuit, or a dress. Kaftans are optional, sarongs are a must.
- Wide floppy hat– How else are you going to keep the sun from turning your face into a raisin while you’re out parading on the beach?
- Hollywood shades– Here’s a trick for keeping them on even while swimming: tie them to your ears with a rubber band. They’ll stay secure while you float away on your inflatable flamingo, sipping a pinacolada and waving at your admirers.
- Flowy dresses– For post swimming lounging, comfortable flowy dresses or floral rompers are the outfits of choice.
A fresh take on banana leaves
- Strappy sandals– The usual flipflops are cute, but take the glam up a notch by wearing strappy rubber sandals from Ipanema or Grendha instead. Not only are they unbelievably comfy, they’re also gorgeous.
I can’t live without these sandals
- Bronzer– The glutathione white look does not belong at the beach. You must glow like the goddess that you are! And for that, you’ll need tanning oil (do not skip the sunblock though) and lots of bronzer. You think J. Lo ever wanted to look like Snow White?
- Passport/document holder– I can’t even remember traveling without a passport holder and document pouch. It keeps everything organized, from boarding passes and whatever, plus it looks really good. Plus points if your passport holder is monogrammed or personalized, on genuine leather.
- Multi currency wallet– This helps a lot too. On one side you have your pesos, on the other, the local currency of your destination. There can even be a third zipper for the ‘in between currency’, like US dollars. A coin purse comes in handy too so you can keep all the coins there and use them for taxi change, metro rides and other small purchases.
For an OC girl like me!
- Carry on bag– I know it’s easier to just pack everything into the large suitcase, but you really do need a carry on, cabin friendly bag that has some toiletries, a change of clothing, your travel documents and other essentials juuuust in case they misplace your checked-in luggage. Plus points if your carry-on is part of a luggage set- that means you are fabulous. Oh, and use a combination padlock at all times.
Bric’s Luggage Set
To all you globe-trotters, jet-setters, wanderlust-ers or whatever you want you call yourselves these days, have a great trip!
Ok ladies, January is over and February always goes by in a flash. How are you doing on your New Year’s Resolutions for 2018? I’m willing to bet you’ve broken about half of them (yeah, no carbs no sugar…what was I even thinking?), and haven’t even started on the other half.
Well, there’s still 11 months left this year and there’s no time like the present to be a little better than you were yesterday. So I came up with a list of wardrobe resolutions that can help make our lives a bit more interesting and our days a lot more colorful. Here it is—hope you decide do this with me!
- I will revamp my work look. That means avoiding the dreary black and gray, ‘safe’, ‘boring’ office outfits. Whoever told you that you can’t or shouldn’t wear vibrant colors in a corporate setting? Imagine how much brighter you’ll look in florals, pastels, a solid purple dress, or even in all white with an eye-catching accessory or silk scarf. Experiment with different styles as well instead of the usual plain Janes of work clothes. If you want to stand out, dress like you mean it baby!
Miranda Kerr looking annoyingly perfect while visiting the Vogue office
- I will add ‘oomph’ to my nights out. Yes, the little black dress always works but c’mon…give it a little more effort and range, no matter what your age. Use attractive accessories and a fabulous purse, or a rockin pair of heels. Wear red lipstick even if you’re having a low-key dinner. Be up for anything, and life will reward you with the most amazing adventures.
Take a cue from lady of the moment Meghan Markle!
- I will look great in the winter. As in—I will find a way to travel to some cold country just so I can wear my coat, wool scarf, cashmere sweater, leather gloves and glamorous boots. That’s one thing I really look forward to, experiencing 4 seasons and the attire that comes with it.
If only we could all look as fab as Olivia Palermo in the winter
- I will look cute at the gym. Even if you’re just going to work out and grit your teeth through those crunches, it doesn’t mean you can’t look good. With the emergence of such fashionable workout clothes from our best-loved brands, it’s almost enough to motivate someone to work out every single day! (Take note I said almost). It’s true though—you’ll look forward to spending more time at the gym, yoga studio or spinning club if you actually dress up for it instead of using ratty old t-shirts and boring leggings.
Yeah if I had Kendall Jenner’s bod I’d go out in my gym clothes too
- I will stay true to my personal style. Don’t force on outfits that don’t suit you and the kind of lifestyle you have, just because it’s what you see in the magazines. That way, you’ll always feel comfortable in your own skin and confident in your individuality.
- I will know my body type. By now, you know what cuts and styles look good on your frame—what types of necklines, what types of sleeves, the length of the skirt, the cut of the pants, and, for Goodness’ sake, the correct size of clothing to wear! Use all that information and build a wardrobe exclusively meant to make you look only your very best every time you step out of the house!
Which one are you?
- I will not wear too many trends at the same time. It is 2018 and you know what fashion roadkill means. Usually, elegance means simplicity, classic lines and pieces, with a personal twist. What it is not is trying to copy celebrities, TV stars , or passing yourself off as an ‘influencer’ of sorts, wearing all kinds of tacky branded stuff all at once.
- I will dress up for the airport. You never know when you’ll be upgraded to first class darling, so be prepared. Do not wear a track suit, slippers, or generally look like you just rolled out bed, unkempt hair and all. Traveling is a privilege—look the part.
Here’s Victoria Beckham at LAX with an actual BABY. Now that’s #goals!
- I will personify resort chic. Yes, the beach is a great place to let loose and wear comfortable clothing, but hey—that doesn’t mean ripped up cut-offs and tacky tie-dyed T-shirts are automatically acceptable. Upgrade your resort chic look into light, breezy dresses, maillots, printed playsuits, silk cover ups, a wide brimmed straw hat, and fabulous sunnies. And don’t forget the sunscreen!
Ushering in the summer with Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
- I will ‘own it’ this year. Make a declaration that this is the year you are going to put yourself first. No more putting up with negative, toxic people and situations – nothing but good vibes and well-being. Therefore, if it means you need a little more time and effort to take care of yourself, get some pampering, upgrade your wardrobe, give yourself the treats you undoubtedly deserve, then so be it. You are unique, special, irreplaceable–a veritable goddess. Make sure you believe it and own it.
If you’re asking me, 2018 with its superblue blood moon is looking superfine already. Prepare for all the wonderful surprises coming your way!
Fashion trends, when they’re hot off the runways of New York, Paris or Milan, are awesome. It’s fun to see either something totally new and different, or a genius, fresh twist on something we’ve seen before. Suddenly it’s all we can think of wearing or getting our paws on. No night out, fancy date, or social event seems as fabulous unless you can appear in whatever Kendall/Kylie/Gigi/Kaia was wearing on IG.
However, when trends hit the mainstream, they become accessible to literally Everybody, so much so that knock-offs from China are flooding market stalls everywhere from Greenhills to Quiapo (trust me, I’ve seen them). Then these knock-offs are purchased by online sellers and boutique owners, and pretty soon you’ll see the designer duds you busted your behind to pay for parading down the street, worn by everyone and their mothers. That means you need to do yourself a favor and try not to be caught dead still wearing these things. Take a deep breath, thank the item for the good times it brought you, and safely tuck it away, or donate it somewhere coz you’ve moved on, baby girl. Just like your last relationship, right?
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care if an item is from last season, last year or last decade- as long as it is original and uncommon, and something that enhances your appearance and personality. Never go for run of the mill fads–let’s leave them along with the last of the dwindling fireworks of 2017 and look forward to better things.
Here are the top items of the things that have got to go this 2017:
- Cold shoulder and off shoulder blouses– Ok, it’s been 3 years. Can we perhaps try wearing something else now? Something sleeker, simpler, less poufy, less ruffly? I’m all for femininity, but you gotta admit the Chiquita Banana look just isn’t cutting it anymore.
Jourdan Dunn looking as ‘meh’ as her blouse
- Ruffle skirts– Same goes for these. Striped, gingham or plain cloth draped into these ridiculous ruffle skirts. It was fun for a while, especially when worn with a plain white T-shirt and white sneakers, but yeah we’re over these too.
This look has got to go
- Tassel and over the top dangling earrings– Once again with the Caribbean feels. Fresh, tropical, colorful, and so totally dated to Summer 2017. Look around you—everyone is still wearing them (and that’s not a good thing)! Give your poor earlobes a break and switch back to real jewels, por favor.
If I see another pair of tassel earrings I’m going to scream
- Super ripped jeans– Cringe cringe and triple cringe. I must admit I gave this trend a real whirl, I practically lived in my ripped-on-the-knee distressed jeans for a few months. They’re comfy and casual. But it’s time to stop pretending I’m part of Zoolander’s ‘Derelicte’ squad and start wearing my classic, dark rinse pair of skinny jeans that can go from day to night again.
What were we thinking?
- Fake logo tees– Have you seen those white T-shirts with the Dolce and Gabbana logo and embroidered sequin flowers and stuff on them? Yeah? Or the black tee with the Gucci logo and graffiti? Darling, the original ones cost over Php 20K. So unless you really have the moolah to splurge that amount of money on a trendy white T-shirt, don’t ever consider wearing the fake version. In fact, the sad part is, even if you DO have the original, it’s been copied so extensively that everyone’s going to think you bought it in some back alley in Shenzen.
Yes I’m referring to this shirt and other logo tees
- Scarf used as headband– Yes, I know we island people love to say that summer lasts forever. But uhmm… it doesn’t. And neither does the appeal of these little scarves that we’ve been tying on our heads all year. Functional and fun, but once again- very seasonal. Remember the headband trend that Blair Waldorf made popular on Gossip Girl seasons 1 and 2? And how ridiculous she looked still wearing them when she went to university? Yup, it’s exactly like that. Certain things, we must outgrow.
Eeek! Get that thing away!
- Chokers– Black leather or lace chokers were all the rage in the 90s, and along with the whole 90s comeback these past couple of years they were an interesting wardrobe addition, but that’s enough. We can’t relive the glory days of Liv Tyler and Winona Ryder any longer.
Fun while it lasted
- Bomber Jackets– I did love this, especially the satin and embroidered version, but it’s just been made in every conceivable material and print that it’s become so common. I don’t think this trend will last much longer. Hang on to your jacket for a literal rainy day, but don’t count on it as a fashion statement.
Yeah, that was a good run…
- Denim Overalls– Not sure I understand how this piece wormed its way back into our closets as it does not really look good on anyone. If you actually bought one (bless your optimistic soul), keep it for wearing around the house when there’s home improvement work to do, or maybe when you’re walking your dog down the street, but nothing else.
- The Valentino Rockstud and the YSL Tribute- Yes, I really said that. And it does kinda hurt to utter these words, because I loved both these shoe styles so very, very much. But they’ve both had their run for yearssss, and sometimes, things we love just have to die—especially when there are horrible look-alike versions being sold in department stores and ‘tiangges’ everywhere. They’ve lost their appeal completely and make you look so basic that it won’t even matter what you wear them with. Time for a cool change, chicas.
So that rounds out my list of the Top 10 Trends that we can’t take with us to 2018. But the memories? For sure. Here’s to an even more amazing year, in fashion and in everything else. Happy New Year, kikays!
My high school batch in St. Theresa’s recently celebrated a milestone reunion/ anniversary—I won’t say how many years it’s been since we graduated because you will then be able to deduce my age, but suffice it to say it was a big deal. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to join my friends and visit our dear old campus because of other pressing commitments, but seeing everyone’s photos on Facebook made me feel sentimental all of a sudden. It all came flooding back—memories of high school friendships, notes we used to pass around in class, barkada beach trips, crushes and cheesy swoon-worthy moments, prom night drama, cheering at Intramurals and all that great stuff. It was the best of times, when the world lay right in front of us, waiting to be explored and discovered. Those were the days when we could literally become anybody we wanted to be moving forward, when we had endless choices and countless possibilities. Then the choices started, and with every choice we took, certain doors closed, and others opened. To all my batchmates—I hope you are all happy, healthy and content. I hope you’ve all been able to squeeze the juice out of life, and continue to do so with every day we’ve been blessed with. I hope you’ve been able to make some of your most treasured dreams come true, and I hope many more wonderful surprises are waiting just around the corner for you. Because to me, you will always be the same fresh-faced, bright eyed girls who could do anything they put their minds to.
Anyway, so being kikay as I am, while walking down memory lane I also started to remember all my favorite outfits from those days that are now making a huge comeback. Oh if only high school could last forever! Well girls– even if we can’t be sweet sixteen for life, we can at least take bits of our awesome teenage years by incorporating elements of it in our wardrobes today. Here are some of my favorites:
- High waist jeans and shorts- The good news here is, if you’re slim and you know it you can wear your high waist bottoms with a cropped or fitted top, while if you want to conceal certain problem areas, this trend looks great with oversize tops as well. So yes, high waisted bottoms can be universally flattering as long as you pick out the right style and size for you. Make sure the waistband isn’t too tight, or you’ll have an awful muffin top.
Emily Ratajkowski rockin high waist jeans
- Mules and kitten heels– These were the definitive footwear of the late 90s and early 2000s, and are apparently all the rage again. Mules look great with either wide leg or cigarette pants, and kitten heels are especially flattering worn with knee length pencil skirts and slip dresses. And both are way more comfy than stilettos, so indulge away!
Embroidered Gucci mules
- Small shades– Those glamorous oversize shades you love so much have to hibernate for a while because smaller lenses are the edgy way to go– whether round or oval ones, colored or metallic ones. Cat shaped lenses are super chic as well.
- Sling bag– Nearly every bag being sold these days have a sling attached to them, and I can’t see how we survived without them before. So pratical to keep your arms and hands free to move and scroll your phone with! Pick a ‘just right’ size that’s large enough to stuff your things in, but small enough to still be considered stylish.
Prada sling bags, I love!
- Heavy fringe– Let’s take a page from our European gal pals and try out a heavy fringe for once. It immediately draws attention to your eyes (so get ready to amp up the eye makeup), and somehow just adds 1000 sophistication points to your look. What’s even more fun is if you created a sexy new persona to go with the bangs and ask yourself—what would a sassy, sophisticated version of me do today?
Selena Gomez with full bangs
- Fitted top– Yes, those ribbed tops that show off every carb you consumed in the last 2 days aren’t going anywhere for now. So suck it in and enjoy. These look good with wide leg pants and A-line skirts- very Liv Tyler.
Eternal muse Liv Tyler
- Logo/Statement tee– You know those classic logo tees (like the Guess triangle) that were so popular back then? Yeah, they’re back. And so are statement T-shirts. If you want to look young(er), find one and wear them with millennial white sneakers.
That unmistakable Guess triangle…
- Jumpers– Who knew overalls would make a comeback? And spaghetti strap or apron style dresses worn over fitted shirts? Well, I’m loving it because the look reminds me of my favorite Friends character—Rachel. Just counting the days till her famous hairstyle comes back in full force as well.
Rachel in her element
- Leather sandals– Whether flat or platform style, these comfy leather sandals are having a moment, and are perfect weekend wear (as alternative to above mentioned sneakers, of course). They look great with the rest of the 90s/2000s ensemble, and are especially cute in white or camel shades.
What about these?? Looks familar, eh?
- A line skirts– One of my favorite styles from high school are these button down A line skirts or the swirl variety. They’re flattering for pear shapes because they accentuate the waist and hide the hips, and are a bit more forgiving on the thighs as well. Just please make sure you wear boyleg underwear for this, ok?
Alexa Chung in an A line mini
- Slip dresses– Kate Moss, is that you? I can’t think of anything more versatile than the spaghetti strap, knee length slip dress. Wear with a denim jacket or over a fitted tee for a more casual look, or on its own for date night. Do you remember how this looked on us back then, with hair slicked back or up in a clamp, and kitten heels?
Signature Kate Moss style
- Denim or Varsity jacket– Perfect for the rainy weather in town these last few months. Both jackets look great with black leggings and sneakers (for a youthful, athleisure outfit), or over a dress for a campus crush throwback. Hmm, now where did I put my ex-boyfriend’s varsity jacket…
Coach Autumn Winter Collection. Gorge!!!
So there’s my top dozen, write me at email@example.com or tag me on FB or IG for your picks!
To my lovely Theresian batchmates, see you again in 5 years (and hopefully a lot more before then), and to all you 90s and Y2K babies out there, a toast to the good times.
In case you missed it, summer is in full swing and everything is burning up–it is that hot!!! School’s out, work people are on vacation mode, and the annual party called summer in the Philippines is definitely raging this year. Don’t miss out on these must-haves to keep you looking fabulous all season long:
- agnes b. Lunettes– This très chic French fashion brand first opened its doors in 1975, and now has more than a hundred stores all over the world. It’s known for classic apparel, accessories, watches, jewelry, and eyewear. A couple of weeks ago, the eye care center Ideal Vision launched the very first line of agnes b. eyewear made available in the Philippines, and the whole collection is delightful! The styles are timeless and elegant, whether for glasses or sunglasses, but come with a fresh twist, like colored or striped frames, mirrorized lenses, and flattering shapes—all embodying the brand’s free spirited vibe. I think I just found a new favorite! Check them out at select Ideal Vision branches soon. Visit idealvisioncenter.com.ph. and like or follow Ideal Vision Center on Facebook and Instagram for all updates.
Fresh frames by agnes b.
- Tipsy Pops– I tried one of these and after that first taste I Just. Could. Not. Stop! Such an awesome idea to create these yummy alcoholic popsicles perfect for any summer bash. They come in all your favorite flavors too: Piñacolada, Kalamansi Margarita, Mango Rum, Strawberry Daiquiri, Orange Arancello, Seabreeze, Bloody Sunset, and Tropical Tequila Sunrise! You can order a party stash by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or swing by Cebu’s number one weekend market Sugbo Mercado IT Park for your fix. Check out their Facebook page at facebook.com/lickmoderately.
You know you want this…
- The chic one piece– Yes, those itsy bitsy bikinis will never go out of style, but if you want to amp up the ante on the fashion front this year, go for a sexy one piece instead. Whether it’s the side cut-out variety, the lace up neckline, or the sideboob-baring type, you’ll surely sizzle like the sun. Check out styles at Cotton On, Forever 21, or the many online shops available and rock it like you mean it at the beach!
A Cotton On one piece– bet you’ve never seen denim look this good!
- Metallic tattoos– Move over, henna, and don’t even get me started on those ridiculous flower crowns. The coolest body adornments to wear this season are of the metallic kind, on smooth, bronzed skin setting off resort chic dresses and lace up sandals. The easiest way is via stick on metallic/glitter tattoos, or even better, try out metallic body paint with a friend! Now who’s a gleaming goddess?
- Inflatables– We went crazy for them last year, and we’re definitely still crazy for them this year! Buy your giant rainbow unicorn, swan, winged horse, donut or slice of pizza and float away to summer bliss. A word of caution: it’s better to use these babies in the pool instead of the sea, it’s kinda hard to get back to shore against the current on a giant inflatable creature, unless you tie it down.
Take your new pet unicorn to the beach!
- Yellow– Literally the color of summer (and Coldplay), and what a heyday it’s having right now! Make sure to add a splash of lemon yellow to your wardrobe this season, whether via a bright yellow top worn with denims or whites, or a skirt/shorts, a bag, or a pair of gorgeous yellow heels. Trust me, it’s impossible not to be happy wearing such a vibrant color, and more smiles will be headed your way.
Loving this butter yellow top from Stradivarius
- Crop tops– As the temperature gets hotter, the tops grow smaller. So I hope you did all your crunches, core work and everything you possibly could to get a flat tummy (and abs, perhaps?) in time for summer…because since 90’s fashion is so back, we are seeing blouses shrink to Britney Spears 1997 levels filling up all the fashion racks. Wear with high waisted jeans/shorts, or drawstring-waist skirts.
Tiny tops to wear on endless summer nights
So there’s my lucky seven for the summer. Now all you need is some sun, sea, sand, and an awesome Spotify playlist, and you’re all set to have the best season ever. Have fun, kikays!
Hello fashionistas! While I am personally a big fan of classic wardrobe staples that never go out of style, let’s face it—once in a while, our closets need a bit of a boost to stay current. It’s been a while since I’ve been out shopping (life gets in the way like that), but I finally had time to browse the net for fashion updates and look around in stores, and what I found was quite surprising. The trends of today are completely different from my normal style! Was I going around looking like a certified Tita stuck in a time warp all this time?! So here’s my roundup of what’s fresh for 2017. Get your hands on them stat, and you’ll pass for a millennial.
- Greenery– Let’s start with this. Pantone’s 2017 color of the year is called ‘greenery’. And no, it is not the rich forest green you would expect. It actually reminds me of a vegetable, and I am not thrilled about that, but we could all use a zing of color in our lives. Check your instagram feed- if all you’ve been wearing lately is boring, basic black, it’s time to take action. Wear this color with white, dove gray, or beige as its neutral base.
- Embroidery– Well what do you know? My grandmother’s embroidered items are now all the rage, cropping up on lace tops, striped polos, and even on bags, jackets and shoes! You don’t need to be all decked out in needlework to be considered stylish, so just pick one or two items for a quick wardrobe refresher. My favorites are the embroidered button down shirts at Zara, and the black lace tops and shoulder bags with embroidered flowers at Stradivarius.
Zara embroidered shirt
- Matte, nude lips– As far as makeup goes, the big revolution has been in lipsticks, with hordes of women stocking up on matte, all-day-long brands like Colourpop, Kylie, and Nyx. Nude is the color of choice, ranging from the barely-there tans, to brick, to deep brown.
Well hello there Kylie.
- Chokers– If you’re a child of the 90s, you would remember this trend. Well, the black chokers are back in full force baby! You can use the stretchy nylon ones that look like a lace tattoo on your neck, or a simple long black leather cord tied up stylishly. Obviously, this looks good with a V neckline or button down shirt.
- Straight, center part hair– Time to say goodbye to sexy beach waves and take out your hair straightening iron, ladies! Part your hair in the middle a la Liv Tyler in Empire Records or Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner of today, and better suck in those cheeks or contour them well so as to create an oval shaped face.
Mila Kunis rockin the ‘do
- Cropped, ribbed tops– Also taken from the 90s book, tops are getting smaller and smaller. Look for the ribbed, stretchy variety and wear with anything from pencil skirts to cropped wide pants. I am crossing my fingers you’ve been doing your ab work all this time, because it looks like this trend will be around for a while!
Gigi or Kendall- who wore it better?
- Sneakers– I do not know how this happened, but somehow it has become acceptable for sneakers to be worn as actual shoes, and even be considered stylish. In fact, as a lazy bombshell, I do not understand this whole athleisure trend at all, but c’est la vie. So yes, white sneakers (first popularized by Adidas Stan Smiths), those things called Yeezys, NMDs, metallic slip-ons, Nike flyknits—you need these in your life right now.
- Colored lenses– Not contact lenses, silly. Sunglasses! The rounder, more geometric, or more colorful, the better. Never mind if it makes you look a bit like Willy Wonka, the point is they’re quirky and cute, and can add a pop of life to an otherwise dull outfit. I’m currently lusting over the Dior SoReal, which is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. Awesome design.
- Flare jeans– It was bound to happen. Our skinny jeans and jeggings have to be set aside, because the flare is back. Wear with one of the aforementioned tiny tops and chunky sandals, and you’re good to go.
Ugh I hate you Miranda Kerr!!
- Zip up varsity jacket– The collegiate varsity jacket has generated a lot of interest in recent months, with popular brands coming up with silk, floral and embroidered varieties. You have to admit, while it again invokes the anti-glam ‘athleisure’ feel, it is both comfy and cool. This is one trend I very much approve of.
Another hit by Zara
- Shoulder bag– Whether it’s a drawstring bucket bag or a mini, a shoulder sling bag is your accessory du jour at present. Isn’t it awesome to finally have your hands free to chat with friends and boylets on Viber or Whatsapp without having to lug those dreadful oversize slouchy bags on your arm? The only other alternative is the mini backpack, like the Prada one from the 90s. I’m not sure how legit a 30 something year old would look wearing a backpack, but whatever. That’s beside the point.
Got this at Stradivarius- what a steal!
- Pleats– And to round up this dainty dozen, I’m hearing my mom’s voice screeching ‘electric pleats!!!’ when she saw a pleated skirt hanging in a store. The ideal length for this is mid-calf, or palazzo style, and it looks good with (again) cropped and tiny tops. Very classy, ladylike, and polished.
Here’s to looking good all day, every day! Cheers, chicas. Till our next catch up.